Sunday, October 3, 2010

September 3rd: Owara Matsuri

Since I did traveling and all kinds of other things during the summer I didn’t really have the opportunity to go to a Matsuri ( festival) or wear a yukata (not that I look great in them XD). So even though I normally don’t travel that far out, Pa, Julia and I got ready in Uozu before catching the train to Yatsuo for the Owara festival. [The Owara festival is for Locals of Yatsuo-machi in Toyama take time out from work to don traditional costume and celebrate the Owara Kaze-no-Bon Festival. Their singing, dancing and lantern-lighting are thought to protect the town from wind damage and encourage a successful autumnal harvest.] Pa and I wore yukata and even though we missed the first two trains there >.> we finally caught one around seven. It was really cramped on the second train and Pa was holding on to me for dear life since she was too short to reach the over head handles. It was kind of cute really. It was like she was my lil wife or something. ^^ Finally we got there (lost Julia right away) but that was ok cause I couldn’t walk that fast in the yukata ( though upon further look I might have actually been wearing kimono) and it was blazing hot. It was funny though because no sooner did we get in line and my shaved ice did some women come up and ask us for out picture. We smiled and let her take our picture, but I think it was simply because we were foreigners dressed up in traditional Japanese attire.



The two of us walked along way down the road until we finally met up with Matt and some other people that were there. We walked around with them for a long while, looking at various things like the Owara dancers and the shops. Met up with all the people from Takaoka and other places as well. It was good to see everyone since a lot of people had I hadn’t seen in a while because of summer break. Then I finally split with Pa and went roaming around with Tiffany and a few others since I was to stay with Tiffany for the night. Met up with Akeem as well who was really good in Japanese which of course he had to be, being a CIR. Before we retired back to Tiffanies place we walked through the part of town that was kept in the olden style with tons of paper lanterns. It was really pretty, and a lot of Japanese people were talking about me in my kimono and how they thought I looked nice. I only know this cause Akeem told me! ^^ Finally it was time to head out (which was good cause I was dying at that point from over-heating), and we rested at Tiffanies placed, talked and laughed for a little while before we all passed out

No comments:

Post a Comment