Friday, August 21, 2009

This past Saturday on the 15th there was a Niikawa Jet’s days. I suggested to my peers that we should have a hangout day with all the Jets that were on my side of the prefecture. I wanted to have fun in my area and not have to travel 40 minutes by train to get to anything. Well the idea hit the ground running and others planned the day. It was a beach and pizza day. It was rather fun must I say. I got to get to know people a bit more, hangout on a beach and ‘attempt’ to become an ok Frisbee thrower (Ultimate Frisbee btw) After the beach we headed to Pizza Jambori ( which hands down is claimed the best Pizza shop in the entire prefecture) and we all ordered pizza. Deciding that the good times shouldn’t end, I invited half the crew back to my place for cards and drinks. That was great fun as well, and it kinda felt like I “broke in” my apartment since I had people over.

Monday the 18th thru the 20th I was at a English camp for upper Elementary school children. I was a bit nervous because of the leadership responsibilities I had to undergo, but everything ended up going rather well. I came up with a workshop for the kids to do, and it turned out soo much better then I could have imagined. I taught the kids how to make mini dream catchers. I had never made them before and only had a few Youtube tutorials to help me figure things out. Needless to say that even though my first time making one was with the kids it turned out nicely. Other then that we had sports day, came up with skits based on our teams category (Fall) so we naturally did Halloween skits. The kids were too adorable. They made their own masks and costumes, and this act alone reinforced that Japanese children are ridiculously talented… I’ve come to conclusion that Japanese kids aren’t “smarter” their simply made to do more and thus are a head of the curve. There were a few other groups at the camp and one was a university girls softball team, which oddly took a great interest in me. They used their best English to talk to me and couldn’t stop telling me how “amazing” I was. I told them about the sports I played back in school and other things and they just thought that was the coolest thing. Also their attempt to use slang was quite hilarious but wonderful all at the same time. I’ve experienced a few firsts while at this camp as well. A community shower( though I went after hours and showered alone lol) and squat toilets. Now whoever invented the squat toilet was not a wise man, nor do I think he liked women much. It is truly a life changing experience when your are confronted with the problem that you might “miss” your target as a female… eeto moving on!!! XD
After the kids were in bed however my boss and other coworkers were together in a kind of after hours enkai wearing pajamas and drinking and eating snacks. Its interesting that you’re basically encourage to drink in Japan lol. Nevertheless I learned more about my coworkers and them me. By the second night of this I was told by my boss that “I was an extremely talented girl and I’m lucky to be able to do all the things I can do.” Let’s just say I felt all kinds of flattered…when things like that come from your boss it truly as a impact. Also because I drink a 20oz bottle of strong sake, chu-hi, and a beer (Kirin) all in one setting I’ve been dubbed a “strong drinker” and the envy of all my coworkers because I’ve never experienced a hangover…not even after my “Ireland excursion” (some of you know about that XD!). I was even asked how I managed that, and the best thing I could tell them was “I don’t know I guess I’m lucky” XD. Camp ended yesterday evening and despite having 7am-3pm days for the days I was at camp I didn’t sleep when I returned home. I proceeded to clean my whole apartment, did a load of laundry, and watched a few movies.

Today I woke up to a few more new things. I had children’s center this morning and I drove my car on my own for the first time. It’s very… interesting to drive in Japan, but I like the mobility it gives me. Second I have internet! I still won’t be on all the time, but I should be able to post more regularly and not once every week.

K…. that’s about it for now. There are pictures from camp and from my increasingly better cooking skills( pajaun,rice fillet chicken, breakfast, etc..!!)and few more useful links for those curious about the workings here in moon country.












5 comments:

  1. ^^... Surely sounds like a lot of work... but... work sounds fun in Japan... Specially when your senpai buy you drinks, and encourage you to drink.. Japan, work seems like a very social thing, and you get to know your business partners quite well, even as kyoushi... as opposed to something that only bigtime businessmen do in the US. Well, I've never questioned your leadership abilities... Not since, you've had a lot of experience in child education, as well as handling girl scouts affairs. Needless to say, I know you've had a lot of experience over these vast years, and I truly believe they will serve you quite well. Keep trying your hardest, I'm proud of you on this front...

    P.S. You're totally cooking me dinner sometime, >_<. Is that okonomiyaki? >_>...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you couldn't be having more fun right now without completely tiring yourself out. But lemmie just say we all still miss ya a good deal. Hope things keep going as well for you, and that all your compliments increase over time. Because apparently, they're all in favor of you. =) Keep doin what you do, because you're doin it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, might I add: that food looks amazingly too good to just put on pictures. I wanna learn how to make THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But Tocky, I can make that too, >_>... Didn't you learn anything from Jasmin? XD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, pizza in Japan, was it crazy and expensive? The other food looks great, too. Sounds like you're already getting in a lot of cool experiences, and there's only more to come! How much freedom did you have in teaching the kids at camp?

    ReplyDelete