Monday, July 19, 2010

Bowling, Enkai, Leavers

June 23rd: Randomly I get messaged by Hilda for a Wednesday night get together with Mr. Fantastic. I ended up rushing over there last minute because instead of doing nothing at home I choose to spend the evening with other people. I met Hilda and the gang at Santoshi’s. It was quite amusing since they ordered my food for me and even though I was the last to arrive my food came out first. Gotta love the irony of that. Dinner was enjoyable and after we all finished our meals off, to bowling we went. Granted I’m not a huge fan of bowling and it showed when I played. LOL I have learned however if I just put power behind and aim for the middle instead of being cautious with my throws I am more likely to get a decent overall score. Good information for later…when ever later is for bowling lol. Got home relatively early and called it a night.

June 25th: After work that Friday I ran home and changed. Many of my coworkers were telling me about Jin Jin matsuri that was happening around the bank in my area. At first I didn’t think I’d have time to go but I decided to go there for forty minutes or so just to look around. I ended up running into my JTE Tommy which I knew I would and we ended up walking around with kids together. I think it’s funny cause a lot of kids think that we have “something* going on. XD Oh well. After that we both went to our separate vehicles for the Enkai at Jalapelon (sp?). Unfortunately cause I am directionally challenged in this country I LITERALLY lost my car. I parked on a side street I had never been on before and walked up and down a few blocks while enjoying the festival. In the end I lost track of where I entered the festival so I had to walk back to the school. Luckily the teacher who was taking me to the restaurant wasn’t ready so I had time to cool down before heading over there. When we finally did make it there I sat at the table with most of the people I knew from the year before and some new faces as well.

It was a fun and crazy time as usual. Enakis at Chuo elementary school are the absolute best. I spent time trying to make Tommy act normal (for him anyways) cause he is even more crazy when intoxicated. He was busy cursing out the teachers in English mostly in fun and I had to tell him to chill. It’s interesting the dynamic we have <.< Anyways it was really fun. It was also at this enkai that Tommy dropped the bomb that I was leaving Chuo. The teachers looked very surprised and I honestly think they will miss me way more then the children do/will. Su-chan said that when she has cookouts at her house I should come to say a part of and in touch with the community at Chuo. It was nice of her and it made me feel very welcomed.
OFCOURSE after drinking quite a bit, and being the most tipsy I have been in a very long time the dinner ended. A few of us then went to Karaoke at some bar called Spirits. Of course I sang and they cheered and we all had more drinks and generally had a wonderful time. One of the teachers actually got sick and didn’t even make it into the Karaoke bar. He ended up bailing and going home. I’m not sure when we actually finished Karaoke and went our separate ways, but I walked home and after thirty minutes of searching located my car, and drove home! XD

June 26th and 27th; Leavers Weekend:
So needless to say the night before I passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. However I couldn’t sleep in too late because I had to shower and get ready for Leavers Weekend. So around 2pm Sayuri came and picked me up from my apartment. It was really nice of her to give me a ride. I didn’t know how I was going to make it up there without her seeing as I have no GPS to find the place in the mountains, and the simple fact that my car is just not running well enough for such a long trip; especially not up mountains and through forest. Nevertheless we made our way there. The trip up was enjoyable with talk, Mc Donald’s and Semi getting lost. The only issue was some of the roads on the mountains were incredibly narrow and had no side railings. So more than once we thought we were going to just drive off the side of the mountain O.o

Once we arrived we did our best to find places to sleep. I ended up landing a futon on the floor which is lucky compared to some people. I think a good chunk of people got the floor with out much cushion at all. I lingered around a bit and then with a group of others walked down to the campsite where they were making dinner (large tubs of yakisoba) and drinking. This was pretty much the jist of being there. To drink, eat and hang with the people who were leaving the JET programme this summer. For the first couple of hours it was simply people talking. Then Johnny and some others hopped on the instruments and started playing music. Some ppl gathered around and danced and sung along if they knew the tune. Whilst this was going on there was a contest in place. There were a bunch of categories lined up on a table and you had to vote which person best fit that category. There were such categories as “most hairy”, “ biggest animation nerd”, “ facebook stalker”, “ party all night”, “karaoke star” and so on. When it came to announce the winners I was SURE that I wouldn’t be chosen for any of the fifteen categories up for voting that night. I of course was wrong. Some how I managed to win the “Most likely to Cosplay at work” category. I was shocked XD Not only did I win that category the prize was no real prize at all. All the prizes were 3 shots of Tequila a piece. I recorded most of it but not until after I won mine. It would have been interesting to have gotten that on film. XD After this there was simply a continuation of the former activities. Lots of conversations and drinking. If they had, had dance music it would have been even more fun, but apparently someone forgot the cord that would connect an iPod to the speaker so it didn’t happen. I didn’t end up taking myself to bed until around 2am and slept fairly well considering it being very hot and being on a futon. Then again my bed isn’t all that comfortable these days. :/

The following morning I got up and went down to the camp site. There was peanut butter and jelly for breakfast, along with orange juice…or at least I think it was orange juice O.o This is where we all sat around getting ready to head back to our respective cities and to bed for a good number of us. We received the first or perhaps the leavers addition of “The Tram” which is a Jet publication done by the reps in our area. Within it had messages from all the leavers. It was nice parting gift. All in all I have to say that this was one hell of a weekend, and probably the most intoxicated one I’ve had while in Japan. Still haven’t managed drunkenness yet, but I’m pretty sure that’s a GOOD thing. XD

2 comments:

  1. "Still haven’t managed drunkenness yet, but I’m pretty sure that’s a GOOD thing. XD"

    I havent been able to manage alcohol, period. LOL Just ask Devon. I have like two drinks and I'm in a happy place. I guess given my family history it's not really a bad thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well least drinking parties or anything of the like is not expensive for you! XD

    ReplyDelete